Thursday 26 March 2015

Slice of Life #26 2015


I recently came across this lovely thought of the day and it struck a deep chord to my life and my wonderful relationship with my parents. Don’t get me wrong, I do not claim to possess great character nor do I believe that I am close to achieving this status in this lifetime. However, my folks have successfully drilled into me that it is attainable – if you persist.

While in primary school, I always resisted having to read the news out loud to Pappa. He reminded me that my teachers had gifted me the skill of reading and that the newspapers would help me acquire new vocabulary, style, and some knowledge of the world, too. This continued way into my angst-ridden teenage years. Pappa corrected my enunciation, checked my knowledge of vocabulary in context, and educated me on global issues regardless of my scowls and loud sighs of frustration. My awareness of the world’s mysteries and troubles grew, though, and many a discussion and debate transpired at the dining table owing to this. This simple practice also brought us together as a family.

I remember Amma, an English teacher, deliberating the term ‘tolerance’ and finding it rather disturbing to her psyche. She maintained that ‘tolerance’ was merely the very first step to ‘acceptance’, with patience and kindness – regardless of colour, creed and beliefs – being the ultimate key to peace. She made it her duty to drive that into us. Pappa was, and still is, the purveyor of all things right. His father imparted the wisdom that to be happy, one must avoid police stations, courts of law and hospitals. To achieve this state of contentment was to do no wrong (fortunately for Grandpa, he did not live in a world of purse snatching, divorce and rich, Malaysian food as we do now).

As for me, I continue to practice acceptance and forgiveness everyday. But, there are also days when I don't - I now aim to have fewer of those. 

Image "Last Lemon | Happiness is…." 2005. 26 Mar. 2015 <http://lastlemon.com/>

No comments:

Post a Comment