Saturday 15 March 2014

Slice of Life #14: Trouble in Threes

Trouble seems to happen in threes. I had a repeat tumble of the stairs first thing in the morning - my knees took the brunt of it yet again. I realised that maybe the stairs (perhaps even the stars) were telling me something. I have no idea what, but I now negotiate them with utmost care, and at an extremely gingerly pace - like my grandmother, had she had been alive today. 

Then came problem #3... The traffic was rather smooth for a Friday and I was feeling confident that I could get some ice on my troubled joints sharpish. If only life was this simple. About 8km from home, Theo, the Wildebeest (my car) begins to thrown a tantrum. He chugs down to a mere 20km/p/h, jerking and dragging, flashing the engine malfunction light at me. 

It's like he's screaming, "You neglected me! I hate you! Suffer the wrath of the engine malfunction light!"

As I inched back home, cars behind me honking, flashing and drivers gesturing rudely, I realised that I had been gripping the steering with all of my heart and soul. It hurt to uncurl my fingers off and my arms felt like lead. I bet they hurt like hell tomorrow... Goes to show, no matter how many terrifying experiences one lives through, car trouble somehow manages to trump them all...   

Image: "E15 and Check Engine Light Malfunctions (Take 2) - Energy Tomorrow." 2013. 20 Mar. 2014 <http://energytomorrow.org/blog/2013/october/e15-and-check-engine-light-malfunctions-take-2>


No comments:

Post a Comment